Associate Professor of Surgery, Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, School of Medicine
Tom Miltenberger Professor in Cancer Research, Ellis Fischel Cancer Center
NextGen Focus Area: Cancer and Immunology
Guangfu Li focuses on cancer and inflammatory disease in the liver, pancreas and lung. Using human biopsies and different animal models that faithfully reflect typical features of human diseases, Dr. Li aims to elucidate the underlying cellular and molecular mechanisms. These findings would then be leveraged to develop effective cellular and molecularly targeted therapy and immunotherapy as well as diagnostics that could be translated into clinical applications.
Precision Health Impact:
- Developing novel molecularly targeted therapies for liver cancer and pancreatic cancer.
- Developing novel chemo-immunotherapies for liver cancer and pancreatic cancer.
- Developing chimeric antigen receptor T cells, natural killer cells and macrophages for liver cancer and pancreatic cancer.
- Liu X, Huang Y, Yuan H, Qi X, Manjunath Y, Avella D, et al. Disruption of oncogenic liver-intestine cadherin (CDH17) drives apoptotic pancreatic cancer death. Cancer Lett. 2019 Jul 10;454:204–14.
- Li G, Liu D, Kimchi ET, Kaifi JT, Qi X, Manjunath Y, et al. Nanoliposome C6-Ceramide Increases the Anti-tumor Immune Response and Slows Growth of Liver Tumors in Mice. Gastroenterology. 2018 Mar;154(4):1024-1036.e9.
- Li G, Liu D, Cooper TK, Kimchi ET, Qi X, Avella DM, et al. Successful chemoimmunotherapy against hepatocellular cancer in a novel murine model. J Hepatol. 2017 Jan;66(1):75–85.
- Qi X, Yang M, Ma L, Sauer M, Avella D, Kaifi JT, et al. Synergizing sunitinib and radiofrequency ablation to treat hepatocellular cancer by triggering the antitumor immune response. J Immunother Cancer. 2020 Oct;8(2):e001038.
- Yang M, Qi X, Li N, Kaifi JT, Chen S, Wheeler AA, et al. Western diet contributes to the pathogenesis of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis in male mice via remodeling gut microbiota and increasing production of 2-oleoylglycerol. Nat Commun. 2023 Jan 16;14(1):228.
Department website: https://medicine.missouri.edu/faculty/guangfu-li-phd