Thomas W. Burns, MD, Distinguished Professor in Diabetes, School of Medicine
Director of Faculty Research, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine
Professor of Medicine, School of Medicine
Chief of Endocrinology, Harry S. Truman Memorial Veterans' Hospital
NextGen Focus Area: Cardiovascular and Metabolic Disorders
Camila Manrique-Acevedo’s primary research focus is on diabetes-related cardiovascular disease and potential treatments to improve vascular function, with an emphasis on insulin resistance and diabetic women. She is a clinician scientist with a federally funded program that explores mechanisms behind the diabetes-triggered disruptions to the cardiovascular system. Her research also tests potential treatments for better patient outcomes.
Precision Health Impact:
- Understanding how metabolic disorders and high blood pressure affect health.
- Investigating diabetes, hormonal disorders and hypertension.
- Limberg JK, Baker SE, Ott EP, Jacob DW, Scruggs ZM, Harper JL, et al. Endothelin-1 receptor blockade does not alter the sympathetic and hemodynamic response to acute intermittent hypoxia in men. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2022 Oct 1;133(4):867–75.
- Syed-Abdul MM, Parks EJ, Gaballah AH, Bingham K, Hammoud GM, Kemble G, et al. Fatty Acid Synthase Inhibitor TVB-2640 Reduces Hepatic de Novo Lipogenesis in Males With Metabolic Abnormalities. Hepatology. 2020 Jul;72(1):103–18.
- Manrique-Acevedo C, Soares RN, Smith JA, Park LK, Burr K, Ramirez-Perez FI, et al. Impact of sex and diet-induced weight loss on vascular insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetes. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2023 Mar 1;324(3):R293–304.
- Manrique C, Lastra G, Habibi J, Mugerfeld I, Garro M, Sowers JR. Loss of Estrogen Receptor α Signaling Leads to Insulin Resistance and Obesity in Young and Adult Female Mice. Cardiorenal Med. 2012 Aug;2(3):200–10.
- Smith JA, Soares RN, McMillan NJ, Jurrissen TJ, Martinez-Lemus LA, Padilla J, et al. Young Women Are Protected Against Vascular Insulin Resistance Induced by Adoption of an Obesogenic Lifestyle. Endocrinology. 2022 Oct 11;163(11):bqac137.
Department website: https://www.muhealth.org/doctors/camila-manrique-md