Professor of Nutrition and Exercise Physiology, College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources
Professor of Medicine (Gastroenterology and Hepatology), School of Medicine
Associate Director of the Clinical Translational Science Unit, NextGen Precision Health building
NextGen Focus Area: Cardiovascular and Metabolic Disorders
Elizabeth Parks, whose primary research focus is on metabolism and liver disease, is investigating the effect of dietary carbohydrates on the development of obesity-related disorders. Her lab has conducted numerous clinical trials testing the impact of lifestyle behaviors to understand how metabolism in obesity increases the risk for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and how diet and exercise can improve liver health.
Precision Health Impact:
- Understanding how food intake relates to obesity and liver disease.
- Investigating how lipid flux impacts disease development.
- Syed-Abdul MM, Parks EJ, Gaballah AH, Bingham K, Hammoud GM, Kemble G, et al. Fatty Acid Synthase Inhibitor TVB-2640 Reduces Hepatic de Novo Lipogenesis in Males With Metabolic Abnormalities. Hepatology. 2020 Jul;72(1):103–18.
- Mucinski JM, Vena JE, Ramos-Roman MA, Lassman ME, Szuszkiewicz-Garcia M, McLaren DG, et al. High-throughput LC-MS method to investigate postprandial lipemia: considerations for future precision nutrition research. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2021 Apr 1;320(4):E702–15.
- Lambert JE, Ramos-Roman MA, Browning JD, Parks EJ. Increased de novo lipogenesis is a distinct characteristic of individuals with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Gastroenterology. 2014 Mar;146(3):726–35.
- Mucinski JM, McCaffrey JM, Rector RS, Kasumov T, Parks EJ. Relationship between hepatic and mitochondrial ceramides: a novel in vivo method to track ceramide synthesis. J Lipid Res. 2023 May;64(5):100366.
- Syed-Abdul MM, Jacome-Sosa M, Hu Q, Gaballah AH, Winn NC, Lee NT, et al. The Tailgate Study: Differing metabolic effects of a bout of excessive eating and drinking. Alcohol. 2021 Feb;90:45–55.