Professor of Medicine; Nellie B. Smith Endowed Chair of Oncology; and Division Chief, Hematology and Medical Oncology, School of Medicine
Director, Ellis Fischel Cancer Center
NextGen Focus Area: Cancer and Immunology
Gerhard Hildebrandt’s research focuses on complications after bone marrow transplantation, including acute graft-versus-host disease and lung injury. He is exploring how the microbiome of the gut and throat affects immune responses and clinical outcomes after transplants. Dr. Hildebrandt also is studying the metabolic pathways that potentially could be targeted in blood cancers and after bone marrow transplants.
Precision Health Impact:
Understanding the pathophysiology of graft versus host disease and transplant immunology in murine models of allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation.
- Palaniyandi S, Strattan E, Kumari R, Mysinger M, Hakim N, Kesler MV, et al. Combinatorial inhibition of Tec kinases BTK and ITK is beneficial in ameliorating murine sclerodermatous chronic graft versus host disease.
- Bone Marrow Transplant [Internet]. 2023 May 9; Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37160943/. Schwab L, Goroncy L, Palaniyandi S, Gautam S, Triantafyllopoulou A, Mocsai A, et al. Neutrophil granulocytes recruited upon translocation of intestinal bacteria enhance graft-versus-host disease via tissue damage. Nat Med. 2014 Jun;20(6):648–54.
- Palaniyandi S, Kumari R, Venniyil Radhakrishnan S, Strattan E, Hakim N, Munker R, et al. The Prolyl Hydroxylase Inhibitor Dimethyl Oxalyl Glycine Decreases Early Gastrointestinal GVHD in Experimental Allogeneic Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation. Transplantation. 2020 Dec;104(12):2507–15.
- Palaniyandi S, Kumari R, Strattan E, Huang T, Du J, Hakim N, et al. The α4β7 blockade with vedolizumab is effective in prevention of graft vs. host disease using a xenogeneic mouse model. Am J Hematol. 2020 Feb;95(2):E39–41.
- Nannini DR, Cortese R, Egwom P, Palaniyandi S, Hildebrandt GC. Time to relapse in chronic lymphocytic leukemia and DNA-methylation-based biological age. Clin Epigenetics. 2023 May 10;15(1):81.
Department website: https://www.muhealth.org/doctors/gerhard-hildebrandt-md