Associate Professor of Nutrition and Exercise Physiology, College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources
NextGen Focus Area: Cardiovascular and Metabolic Disorders
Jaume Padilla’s research program focuses on understanding the mechanisms of vascular endothelial dysfunction in obesity, insulin resistance and Type 2 diabetes, as well as the impact of physical activity (and inactivity). His federally funded research incorporates biochemical and molecular techniques, in vitro cell and tissue culture models, in vivo studies in genetic mouse models and large animals and clinical studies with human participants.
Precision Health Impact:
- Understanding the link between metabolic and cardiovascular disease.
- Identifying novel targets and therapeutic strategies to combat vascular dysfunction in obesity and Type 2 diabetes.
- Pettit-Mee RJ, Power G, Cabral-Amador FJ, Ramirez-Perez FI, Soares RN, Sharma N, et al. Endothelial HSP72 is not reduced in type 2 diabetes nor is it a key determinant of endothelial insulin sensitivity. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2022 Jul 1;323(1):R43–58.
- Manrique-Acevedo C, Soares RN, Smith JA, Park LK, Burr K, Ramirez-Perez FI, et al. Impact of sex and diet-induced weight loss on vascular insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetes. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2023 Mar 1;324(3):R293–304.
- Ramirez-Perez FI, Woodford ML, Morales-Quinones M, Grunewald ZI, Cabral-Amador FJ, Yoshida T, et al. Mutation of the 5’-untranslated region stem-loop mRNA structure reduces type I collagen deposition and arterial stiffness in male obese mice. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2021 Aug 1;321(2):H435–45.
- Padilla J, Manrique-Acevedo C, Martinez-Lemus LA. New insights into mechanisms of endothelial insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2022 Dec 1;323(6):H1231–8.
- Jurrissen TJ, Ramirez-Perez FI, Cabral-Amador FJ, Soares RN, Pettit-Mee RJ, Betancourt-Cortes EE, et al. Role of adropin in arterial stiffening associated with obesity and type 2 diabetes. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2022 Nov 1;323(5):H879–91.