William and Nancy Thompson Distinguished Professor in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, College of Engineering
NextGen Focus Area: Bioinformatics and Artificial Intelligence
Jianlin Cheng’s research is focused on developing bioinformatics, machine learning and artificial intelligence (AI) methods to analyze biomedical data (e.g., omics data) and address fundamental problems in biomedical sciences. With many years of support from the National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundation and U.S. Department of Energy, Dr. Cheng’s Bioinformatics and Machine Learning Lab has developed and applied bioinformatics and AI tools to predict and analyze protein structure, interaction and function; 3D genomes; and biological networks. His work is useful for studying molecular mechanisms underlying human health and diseases and designing drugs to treat those diseases.
Precision Health Impact:
- AI prediction of molecular properties of genes, proteins, genomes, epigenomes and biological networks relevant to precision medicine.
- Omics data-driven analysis of molecular mechanisms of phenotypes and diseases.
- Chen C, Chen X, Morehead A, Wu T, Cheng J. 3D-equivariant graph neural networks for protein model quality assessment. Bioinformatics. 2023 Jan 1;39(1):btad030.
- Li Y, Boadu F, Highsmith MR, Hagen DE, Cheng J, Rivera RM. Allele-specific aberration of imprinted domain chromosome architecture associates with large offspring syndrome. iScience. 2022 May 20;25(5):104269.
- Giri N, Roy RS, Cheng J. Deep learning for reconstructing protein structures from cryo-EM density maps: Recent advances and future directions. Curr Opin Struct Biol. 2023 Apr;79:102536.
- Shi X, Yang H, Chen C, Hou J, Ji T, Cheng J, et al. Dosage-sensitive miRNAs trigger modulation of gene expression during genomic imbalance in maize. Nat Commun. 2022 May 31;13(1):3014.
- Guo Z, Liu J, Skolnick J, Cheng J. Prediction of inter-chain distance maps of protein complexes with 2D attention-based deep neural networks. Nat Commun. 2022 Nov 15;13(1):6963.
Department website: https://engineering.missouri.edu/faculty/jianlin-cheng/