Professor of Medical Pharmacology and Physiology, School of Medicine
NextGen Focus Area: Cardiovascular and Metabolic Disorders
Luis Martinez-Lemus, whose primary research focus is vascular remodeling, studies the mechanisms responsible for structural changes to blood vessels. He investigates how blood vessels change functionally and structurally in response to diverse conditions including obesity, diabetes, hypertension and aging. His studies indicate that cells within vascular walls are more adaptable than was previously known and can change their position and intracellular architecture within minutes to a few hours.
Precision Health Impact:
- Understanding the mechanisms responsible for structural changes to blood vessels.
- Investigating vascular remodeling and microcirculation.
- Ghiarone T, Castorena-Gonzalez JA, Foote CA, Ramirez-Perez FI, Ferreira-Santos L, Cabral-Amador FJ, et al. ADAM17 cleaves the insulin receptor ectodomain on endothelial cells and causes vascular insulin resistance. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2022 Oct 1;323(4):H688–701.
- Martinez-Lemus LA, Aroor AR, Ramirez-Perez FI, Jia G, Habibi J, DeMarco VG, et al. Amiloride Improves Endothelial Function and Reduces Vascular Stiffness in Female Mice Fed a Western Diet. Front Physiol. 2017;8:456.
- Ramirez-Perez FI, Cabral-Amador FJ, Whaley-Connell AT, Aroor AR, Morales-Quinones M, Woodford ML, et al. Cystamine reduces vascular stiffness in Western diet-fed female mice. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2022 Feb 1;322(2):H167–80.
- Morales-Quinones M, Ramirez-Perez FI, Foote CA, Ghiarone T, Ferreira-Santos L, Bloksgaard M, et al. LIMK (LIM Kinase) Inhibition Prevents Vasoconstriction- and Hypertension-Induced Arterial Stiffening and Remodeling. Hypertension. 2020 Aug;76(2):393–403.
- Bender SB, Castorena-Gonzalez JA, Garro M, Reyes-Aldasoro CC, Sowers JR, DeMarco VG, et al. Regional variation in arterial stiffening and dysfunction in Western diet-induced obesity. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2015 Aug 15;309(4):H574-582.
Department website: https://medicine.missouri.edu/faculty/luis-martinez-lemus-dvm-phd