Professor of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering, College of Engineering
NextGen Focus Area: Biomaterials and Tissue Regeneration
Xiaohua Liu is a biomedical science and engineering researcher. His research is focused on the development of bio-inspired materials, controlled drug delivery, and nanotechnology for tissue repair and regeneration.
Precision Health Impact:
- Development of novel bioengineering approaches for dentin, cartilage, bone, and soft tissue repair and regeneration.
- Ma C, Chang B, Jing Y, Kim H, Liu X. Bio-Inspired Micropatterned Platforms Recapitulate 3D Physiological Morphologies of Bone and Dentinal Cells. Adv Sci (Weinh). 2018 Dec;5(12):1801037.
- Liang Y, Shakya A, Liu X. Biomimetic Tubular Matrix Induces Periodontal Ligament Principal Fiber Formation and Inhibits Osteogenic Differentiation of Periodontal Ligament Stem Cells. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2022 Aug 17;14(32):36451–61.
- Li Q, Deng Y, Liu X. Delivering Multifunctional Peptide-Conjugated Gene Carrier/miRNA-218 Complexes from Monodisperse Microspheres for Bone Regeneration. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2022 Sep 28;14(38):42904–14.
- Chang B, Ma C, Feng J, Svoboda KKH, Liu X. Dental Pulp Stem Cell Polarization: Effects of Biophysical Factors. J Dent Res. 2021 Sep;100(10):1153–60.
- Li Q, Chang B, Dong H, Liu X. Functional microspheres for tissue regeneration. Bioact Mater. 2023 Jul;25:485–99.
Department website: https://engineering.missouri.edu/faculty/xiaohua-liu